15th Round - Derick Velazquez: RHP, Merced Col, (CA)

IMG_1473.jpg

A two-way player in junior college, Velazquez has seriously raised his profile as a pitching prospect with his first season at Merced. Athletic and projectable, he has the makings of a good three-pitch mix, with his fastball, curve and changeup. With room to add strength, he has the chance to add velocity as he matures, and he already commands his pitches fairly well. His combination of now stuff and projectability should have many teams interested in the Draft's early stages.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A two-way player in junior college, Velazquez has seriously raised his profile as a pitching prospect with his first season at Merced. Athletic and projectable, he has the makings of a good three-pitch mix, with his fastball, curve and changeup. With room to add strength, he has the chance to add velocity as he matures, and he already commands his pitches fairly well. His combination of now stuff and projectability should have many teams interested in the Draft's early stages.

Thank you weams for keeping us updated on the Orioles picks.

What are we looking at with regard to signability? Assuming that he would receive an above slot offer, would that be counted towards the O's allotted amount for their top 10 picks?

Anything above 100K counts against that.

Hopefully they can get Gausman and Kline for below slot and use that money on Velazquez.

I absolutely love this pick. His leg kick reminds me a little of Kevin Brown. I can't find a lot of information on him. I love the value this late. I did see one list that said he was a late riser and should go in rounds 2-5. I try to find it. I talked to a friend last night who's father is a west coast scout for the Padres and he told me his father said we got a steal. He said he is rail thin but has #2-3 starter upside.

What are we looking at with regard to signability? Assuming that he would receive an above slot offer, would that be counted towards the O's allotted amount for their top 10 picks?
I don't know about his signability-but I do know that the first $99,999 for picks after the top 10 rounds does not count toward the cap. So the Orioles could sign him for, say, $250,000 and only $150,001 will count toward the cap.

Archived